Most kids I’ve seen at cons absolutely love cosplay. They love seeing the costumes, and they love dressing up in costumes. It’s basically like an extra Halloween for them. My kid is no exception – in fact, she has asked to wear a costume to the next con we go to. She loves cosplay so much that the best way to get her to sit still through having her tangled hair brushed out in the morning is to watch youtube videos of awesome cosplay. Current favorite is this one:
I’ve been slacking in my costume-making endeavors lately, mostly due to the lack of that one thing parents never have enough of: time. My sewing pile has a bunch of mending items I need to get to before I can even consider finishing my Kaylee costume, and the first thing in line for the hot glue gun and spraypaint is the kiddo’s fairy wand in need of repair, not my never-finished steampunk rifle (formerly known as a super soaker).
I have a little time off coming up for wrist surgery, and I’m trying to think of some fun things I can make that are low-effort and can be done one-handed and without requiring a lot of coordination (naturally, I managed to injure my dominant hand). I’ve seen some really awesome parent-child cosplays, and would love your input for even more ideas. Also, this will probably end up being our Halloween costume this year – because time.
So here’s the list of possibilities, based on our interests, my limited sewing skills, and two-person costumes:
1) Kaylee/Serenity: me finally finishing my Kaylee costume (the coveralls outfit) and kiddo in a cardboard/spraypaint version of the ship
2) Steampunk Scout Leader/Girl Scout: based purely on the fact that I found a vintage scout leader uniform at Goodwill last year and we could make some really cool steampunk-ed merit badges
3) Leia/Ewok: because Ewoks. And she’s about the right height for it. The cool long-braid Leia hairdo would obviously require a wig.
4) Elsa/Olaf: like most of her age-mates, it’s her current favorite. And she’s the right height for Olaf. And because it would make me wear a dress for once…
5) Cyberman/Dalek: they’re robots, albeit super creepy ones. She’s really into robots lately. This one would be by far the most time-consuming/difficult, though.
What other cosplays would be good for an adult/kid combo?